Can't stop smiling. These sweet and thoughtful friends of mine threw a surprise birthday party for me. I didn't have any idea of what's going on, I almost spoilt it. We were supposed to go out to Cheesecake Factory and have dinner with Safi, since he's leaving tomorrow for India and is gonna be gone for 4 months. I planned for that, telling everybody to meet up at D and D's place at 7:30pm. Without any idea that there's another plan on the side.
Somebody covered my shift at work today, at the last minute. I decided to go out to Harvard Sq., did some window shopping. Coming back, I went directly to Windsor without going home first. I was 15 minutes early. I saw Shaq's car, and I thought "Hmm.. Shaq's early, but he's usually the first one to show up anyway, so.. OK." Then I saw Amir's car, and I thought, "That's a bit weird, Amir's usually 15 minutes late." Then I saw Siju sitting on the stairs outside. And I thought, "I didn't tell Siju about this dinner, so Afsan must have told her." I asked Siju what she's doing, and she said she's on the phone and since the reception's bad inside, she came out. I'm like, "OK, I'm gonna go in first then." By this time, I should have at least suspected that there's something going on. Even Usman has full reception at Windsor. But I was tired from my outing, and just went right on in.
I went up the stairs, and was greeted with the usual "Happy Birthday to you...." Almost everybody was there - Afsan, Amir, Dewi I, Dewi II, Diah, Haruna, Neel, Nida, Shakir, Siju, Taiwo, Zaid. Safi and Unaza showed up soon after. There were streamers, ballons and a Happy-Birthday banner. Food and cake. Cards and gifts. It was a real birthday party :)
I was really surprised, and touched. I didn't expect anything, and felt like I had been given more than I deserved. I thank God for giving me the chance to know these people and for making them part of my life. In their own way, they all have made a difference in my life and myself. May Allah bless them and myself and give us all a chance to make change for the better in each other.
D and D, I love you two so very much. Thank you for everything.