Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know much about this. What exactly does the Qur'an say about homosexuality?
It has been brought to my attention that a certain department is bringing a "gay Muslim speaker" on campus next year. I can't help but feel concern about this. On one hand, I think it's a good idea to hear various people speak so you can agree or disagree with them afterwards, but bringing a controversional person such as this to speak on a campus where Muslims are vastly underrepresented, really concerns me. Who is going to agree or disagree with this speaker on our behalf?
I think what would be best if the format of such event is a forum - one which there would be different speakers representing different views on the issue of homosexuality. Personally, I do not think that homosexuals are "born that way" but that they are shaped to be that way, either by themselves or by their surrounding. But I really am not a religious nor a scientific expert on this issue. I would love to hear people debate about it, but I rather not hear just one side of the story. I wouldn't like to see other people being misguided about my faith.
I can't help but wonder why this department is bringing such a speaker to represent Islam, when the group that this speaker represents probably doesn't even make 1% of the Muslims. We really have to be careful about who are speaking for Islam. In this vulnerable political atmosphere, of course you don't want to alienate the Americans, but at the same time, you have to be careful not to alienate the vast majority of Muslims who are in favour of you either.
There's another thing too. The nerve of some people to say that they keep giving Islam another chance. What arrogance! Islam is Islam, if you're a true believer, you'd be thankful to have been given various chances to know Islam. We all know, no one would come to Islam if they were to look at the Muslims today. But the religion itself, if you got to know, would humble you like nothing else. Fear God, don't ever let such arrogance even crosses your thoughts. Na'uzubillah!
Sex and the mercy of Ramadhan: Hast the story not reached thee?
Note: Please verify the story and sources yourself.